Posts

Showing posts from August, 2015

Disquiet in KWASU over establishment of ASUU chapter

Image
After about six years of peace and harmony at the Kwara State University, Malete, there has been some discontent of late. Sources said the university, established by the Bukola Saraki government in 2009, was among some tertiary institutions in the state owing their staff months of salary arrears. It was said that KWASU’s staff were owed for four months until the backlogs were reduced by half. Also, since its commencement, the institution has operated without the academic and non-academic staff unions while students have not been enjoying their freedom of association in form of unionism. Dissatisfied with the lack of vibrancy associated with academic unionism, 17 members of the academic staff held a meeting at E-Place Plaza, Malete on August 13. The meeting, which reportedly started by 2.49pm, was said to have been attended by 17 members of the academic community, including the Provost, College of Information and Communication Technology, KWASU, Prof. Innocent Okoye. During...

Three die as Biafran group, NAVY clash

Image
No fewer than three persons were feared dead in Onitsha, Anambra State, on Sunday evening when a group, Independent People of Biafra, clashed with security operatives. It was gathered that 20 persons were injured in the clash. A member of the group, Chinwendu Ikechukwu, told newsmen that the group had after its meeting held at Nkpor, Idemili-North Local Government Area of the state, decided to go and preach to the people on the need to embrace the struggle for Biafran state when the trouble ensued. He said, “On reaching Okpoko junction, we were accosted by a detachment of policemen who fired teargas canisters at our members numbering about 5,000. “They later allowed us to go since we were non-violent but on reaching Uga Junction before the Niger Bridge, the naval men on duty there opened fire on us. “In our defenceless state, three of our members were shot dead while about twenty others sustained injuries. “Even the police who initially allowed us to go later joined in shoot...

Buhari is a northern President —Fayose

Image
The Ekiti State Governor, Ayodele Fayose, has said the steps taken by President Muhammadu Buhari since he took over on May 29 are tainted with ethnic colouration. The governor, who said the retired general was operating as a “president of northern Nigeria only” said, “appointments made by Buhari so far negated the principle of federal character.” Fayose, according to a statement issued on Monday by his Special Assistant on Public Communications and New Media, Lere Olayinka, said it was wrong for the President to have made 31 major appointments with only seven coming from the South. “Under Buhari, are people from southern Nigeria only meant to be hounded and harassed by anti-corruption agencies and the Department of State Services while those from the North are meant to enjoy Federal Government’s juicy appointments?” he asked. Apart from lopsided appointments made by the President, the governor said he was worried that the construction of the Lagos-Ibadan expressway had slowe...

Dasuki faces illegal arms charge today

Image
The Federal Government will Tuesday (today) arraign a former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd.), on only one- count of illegal possession of firearms before a Federal High Court in Abuja, for allegedly being in possession of firearms without license. The former NSA, who was scheduled to appear before Justice Adeniyi Ademola, had last week filed his bail application in anticipation that the court will hear it immediately after taking his plea on Tuesday (today). A reliable source, who had a copy of the charge in his possession, said its content was exactly the same with the statement recently released by the Department of State Services to announce that it had preferred a charge against the former NSA. Dasuki’s counsel, Mr. Ahmed Raji, SAN, confirmed to our correspondent on Monday that the prosecution preferred only one count against the accused person. “It’s only one count. It’s a count relating to possession of firearms without license,” Raji said. The...

Nigerians kick as APC disowns Buhari’s campaign promises

Image
The Presidency and the ruling All Progressives Congress have come under fire for saying that President Muhammadu Buhari never promised Nigerians that he would achieve specific things within his first 100 days in office. Nigerians on social media expressed disappointment at the party and Presidency’s excuses. The protest on Twitter, which was titled, # 100dayspromise , was directed at the APC and the Presidency for being insincere with Nigerians during the electioneering. The National Publicity Secretary of the APC, Mr. Lai Mohammed, said during an interview on Channels TV on Monday that Buhari never promised to do anything within his first 100 days in office. Mohammed said, “Buhari never promised to do anything in 100 days, that’s the honest truth. You see, when you are running a campaign, all kinds of literature will emerge from all sorts of groups but there are only two documents that you can judge a party with: That is the constitution of the party and the manifesto of t...